MiDAS Minibus Training

 Become Midas Trained  Specialist Midas Minibus Courses       Tel 07977 911242   

News & Info

Taking a Minibus Abroad

Posted by [email protected] on April 5, 2015 at 7:15 AM

Minibuses which can carry 9 or more persons (including the driver) and are used on journeys to or from the continent or the Republic of Ireland, come within the scope of European Union (EU) and other international regulations governing international bus and coach journeys. Driving a minibus abroad requires compliance with more complex legislation.

The exceptions given by a Section 19 permit do not apply and a post 1 January 1997 licence cannot be used in any circumstances unless the necessary PCV test has been passed and an unrestricted D1 category added. Pre 1997 licenses could be used for some journeys where no students are being carried but in most cases these divers also need to have passed a PCV test.

EU Regulations also require a tachograph to be installed and used for international journeys and you will be required to comply with the EC Drivers' Hours Rules. For trips abroad, a tachograph must be used from the start of the journey in the UK, with a new disc for each day, continuing until the end of the return journey to the UK. There must be one chart per driver per driving day. There are heavy fines for failing to install and correctly use a tachograph. Deliberate falsification of a tachograph can also result in imprisonment.

Further information is also available from the Road Haulage Division, Department for Transport, Zone 2/11 Great Minster House, 76 Marsham Street, London, SW1P, 4DR. For general enquiries on taking a minibus abroad you should telephone 0300 330 3000.

Categories: None

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In